While out scouting with John Eberhart, he mentioned his favorite venison recipe and passed it along to us - enjoy!
For 4 to 7 pounds (chunks) of venison:
- 10 cups water
- 5⁄8 cup Kosher salt
- 1⁄2 oz. Tenderquick
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbs. mustard seed
- 3 tbs. pickling spices (McCormick)
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- Bring all the above (not the meat) to a boil while stirring, then let cool and refrigerate.
- Once cold add the meat and place all in a 1 or 1 1⁄2 gallon Zip Loc bag.
- Lay bag in a pan and refrigerate.
- Turn bag over once a day for 7 days
- Remove, rinse, cover in fresh water and cook until tender.
- Once desired tenderness is reached add cabbage or other veggies if desired and cook another 20 minutes (longer for potatoes).
- Crock pot works well for cooking.